Texas City Explosion 1947 Universal Newsreel SILENT

Support this channel: https://paypal.me/jeffquitney OR https://www.patreon.com/jeffquitney

more at http://quickfound.net/

‘TEXAS BLAST! SPECIAL RELEASE! FIRST PICTURES… Footage of the Texas City explosion disaster of 1947…’

Originally a public domain film from the Library of Congress Prelinger Archives, slightly cropped to remove uneven edges, with the aspect ratio corrected, and one-pass brightness-contrast-color correction & mild video noise reduction applied.

Wikipedia license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

The Texas City disaster was an industrial accident that occurred April 16, 1947 in the Port of Texas City, Texas, at Galveston Bay. It was the deadliest industrial accident in U.S. history…


TIME Magazine, April 28, 1947, p. 22:

The morning sun shone warm and bright. It looked like another great day for the war-fat Gulf port town of Texas City, Tex.— “The Port of Opportunity.” Stores were busy, prosperous people “howdy’d” one another in the streets. Down along the waterfront, $125 million worth of oil refineries, tin smelters and chemical plants labored mightily to assure Texas City’s future. Down there too was the only small blot on the day— the French freighter Grandcamp, loaded with ammonium nitrate fertilizer and docked some 700 ft. from the great Monsanto Chemical Co. plant, was afire…

By 9 a.m., the fire fighters, who knew something about the explosive fury of nitrate, figured they had better move the ship out into Galveston Bay. Twelve minutes later it was too late.

In one tremendous thunderclap, the Grandcamp vanished. Hot steel screamed uptown. A flaming wall of oil-covered water rolled over the docks as the blast picked up a steel barge and flung it 100 yards inland. Two light planes that had been circling over the harbor plummeted down together with 300-lb. chunks of ship’s steel. Then, in a splitting series of explosions (one of which flipped a fire truck on top of the beached barge), the Monsanto plant and most of the rest of the waterfront blew up.

Flame & Invisible Force. The next minutes were a vortex of sound, flame and rushing, invisible force. The bodies of the dock crowd, limbs and clothes torn off by the blast, were strewn for half a block. In the ruins of the Monsanto plant, buildings sagged slowly down on 800 workers. In adjacent refineries, gasoline and oil tanks shot up like rockets, walls fell, pipes curled up and writhed like snakes, and black and red fire licked greedily over the ground.

Uptown, a mile away, the manager of the White House department store was blown through the post office door. The invisible force smashed the doors and windows of the First State Bank and scattered money all over the floor. It tossed Mrs. Tina Lide out through a second-story window, twisted the steel roof beams of the auditorium, puffed in the roof and a wall of the Jewel Theater, knocked out the gas, light and water systems and pancaked rows of houses.

A telephone operator flashed neighboring Houston: “For God’s sake, send the Red Cross.”… Trucks loaded with dead rumbled by and sound trucks bellowed warnings through the streets:

—-The High Flyer, a nitrate-laden sister of the Grandcamp, was afire and might explode any minute.

—-The butane tanks were about to blow up, and poison gases would be released…

By midnight, some of the people who had fled Texas City began to drift back. Some ignored police warnings that the waterfront was “pluperfect hell” and went down to help… Among them was Father William Roach, of St. Mary’s Catholic Church. Father Roach died with his rescue squad when, at 1:11 a.m., the High Flyer mushroomed like a Bikini bomb.

Primitive Terror. The High Flyer explosion, which was recorded by a seismograph in Denver, did more than sink a neighboring freighter and rake the remains of Texas City. It stirred a primitive terror. A wild evacuation jammed the roads out of town.

By morning, the people left in Texas City tried to count their dead. There were 200 bodies in the gym. They lay in blanketed rows, each body tagged with a yellow identification slip.* The smell of smoke and blood hung thick over the relatives bending to look at the tags…

As for the price, by week’s end there were 575 estimated dead, 3,000 injured, 295 missing…

Likes: 0



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

error: Content is protected !!

Powered by WhatsApp Chat

× How can I help you? WhatsApp Us +13237610775